INVOForward is a Northwestern mentorship program to accelerate biomedical commercialization, such as Health IT, medical devices, and therapeutics, on both Chicago and Evanston campuses. It is designed to increase entrepreneurship by helping potential or current biomedical entrepreneurship teams focus on the customer discovery process. Through their discovery, the teams test and identify their market fit and assess the level of impact of their business proposition. INVOForward is modeled
Companies often fail because they build something that nobody wants to pay for. Studies have identified that this occurs typically because they do not understand the innovation ecosystem, have not identified all stakeholders, or do not understand the true value proposition of their product/services. Academic entrepreneurs are no exception. INVOForward is focused on helping teams fine-tune their value proposition by talking with a variety of stakeholders and reaching greater clarity on the fit or impact of their “product.”
Group Photo: Fall 2017 Medical Device Cohort, Pitch Judges and INVOForward Team
INVOForward is a 4-week program that includes: a kick-off session, office hour support, 3 weekly virtual classes for team reports, and a final presentation. Core to the program will be the expectation that the teams conduct 30 interviews over the 4-week period.
Teams will fine-tune their value proposition and also build a venture pitch
- Day 1: Kickoff (5 hours)
- Week 2: Webinar - Team Report (2 hours)
- Week 3: Webinar - Team Report (2 hours)
- Week 4: Webinar - Team Report (2 hours)
- Week 5: Final Presentations (5 hours)
Kickoff for Cohort 2 is
- Teams may consist of 1-3 people, with at least one NU or NM faculty, physician, clinical resident/fellow, staff or graduate student.
- Teams must explore the commercialization of Northwestern enabling intellectual property from a research lab, and
acknowledgementof the faculty is needed.
- Teams may be as early as pre-ideation or may be further along in development.
- Participating teams will be expected to attend all components of the program (see Schedule above).
What to expect
The value of INVOForward is not only in the training and team
Applications are now open, please apply here.
Any questions may be directed to INVOForward (INVOForward@northwestern.edu).