Policies and Forms
Access policies and forms related to disclosing, patenting and commercializing inventions, including royalty distribution, intellectual property and conflict of interest.
Patent and Invention Policy
Covered by this policy: Any invention or discovery made within an individual's normal field of employment/activity at the University, or using University resources.
Covered by this policy: Members of the University's academic community who create works at the University resulting from their research, teaching, artistic creativity or writing.
Student Invention Policy
Covered by this policy: All students (including graduate, undergraduate, full-time and part-time).
- More on the policy
- More on the process to petition the release of University's intellectual property rights
Royalty Distribution Policy
Covered by this policy: If there is more than one Northwestern inventor, this policy covers those inventors, as well as their departments, schools and centers
University Technology Licensing and Equity Interest Policy
Covered by this policy: Ccircumstances and processes for receiving and managing Equity investments in Commercial Ventures, and determining how and when to sell and distribute any resulting proceeds to best protect and promote Northwestern University’s educational and research missions.
Conflict of Interest Policies
The following policies and guidance are available on Northwestern's Conflict of Interest Office website:
Petitions to release intellectual property
- Student Petition to Release IP Form A: Used by most students
- Student Petition to Release IP Form B: Used by undergraduate, Kellogg and Pritzker students using the Garage
- Student Internship Release Form
Agreement templates & forms
- Confidentiality Agreement template
- Mutual Confidentiality Agreement template
- Software Digital Startup License Agreement
- Therapeutics Startup License Agreement
- Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) forms are available on the Office for Sponsored Research (OSR) website