SwiftScale Biologics uses a cell-free protein synthesis platform to enable (1) fast protein therapeutic development through to clinical batches and (2) synthesis of proteins that are very difficult to express in cells. Their mission is to use this platform technology to enable partners to advance dozens of novel therapeutics to the clinic. SwiftScale works with leading biotech and pharmaceutical companies around the world, have recently raised $20M from top investors, and are founded by the field-leading professors in cell-free protein synthesis, including Northwestern Prof. Michael Jewett.
SwiftScale is seeking a scientist who shares our goal of getting life-saving therapeutics to patients more quickly than would otherwise be possible to join our tightly-knit team of 15 people. In this position, you will help expand the applications of cell-free technology in the biopharmaceutical industry by managing and executing research, discovery, and preclinical-stage drug development contracts. You will interface directly with key decision makers in major biotech companies and work with our team to deliver solutions using our growing cell-free platform. The work will involve drug variant screening, expression optimization, characterization, and selection using high-throughput methods for DNA synthesis, DNA purification, protein synthesis, protein purification, SDS-PAGE, UPLC, and ELISA binding evaluation. You’ll also work with our platform development team to improve our platform to make a wider variety of proteins and scale-up the cell-free protein synthesis process from the bench scale to GMP clinical batches.
Email CV/resume to email@example.com.
- Develop and execute experimentation plans to screen, characterize, and deliver preparative amounts of protein therapeutic candidates for biopharmaceutical customers
- Cell-free protein expression and preparation/validation of associated materials
- Protein purification at scales from magnetic beads to AKTA Explorer/AKTA Pilot
- Protein characterization using UPLC, SDS-PAGE, and ELISA
- Synthetic biology-based DNA design
- PCR, protein and DNA electrophoresis, Western blotting, expression, cell culture (bacterial)
- Interpreting and presenting experimental data
- Drive projects to improve and build upon our cell-free synthesis, purification, and characterization platform to deliver new classes of proteins, expand throughput, and increase speed
- [Required] Direct experience working with DNA design, molecular cloning, genomic editing, protein expression, purification, and characterization (preferably of protein therapeutics).
- [Required] BS (+6 years experience), MS (+4 years experience), or PhD degree in Bioengineering, Synthetic Biology, Biochemistry, Biological Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology, Chemical Engineering, or related fields.
- Direct experience with automation and high-throughput protein expression workflows.
- Demonstrated ability to independently design experiments and own projects, particularly for collaborators or clients with aggressive timelines.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret, compile, and present experimental data to customers or senior management.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced small company environment with a drive to creatively solve problems around how to speed up protein therapeutic development and experimental workflows.
- Availability to work full-time hours at our South San Francisco location.
- High intrinsic motivation and a desire to learn and on-board new techniques.
- [Strongly Preferred] Direct experience with in vitro transcription-translation or cell-free protein synthesis methods.
- [Preferred] Experience working in GLP or ISO-related settings.
CONTACT: Weston Kightlinger (firstname.lastname@example.org)
posted May 25, 2021