PRINCIPAL SCIENTIST, PEPTIDE/BIOMACROMOLECULAR CHEMISTRY
Based on research out of Prof. Nathan Gianneschi's lab, Grove Biopharma is a breakthrough platform biotechnology startup, operating at the interface between materials science and biotherapeutics, pioneering the discovery and development of a new class of proteomimetic drug modality for challenging drug targets with the potential to address significant unmet medical needs in chronic inflammatory and neurodegenerative diseases.
We are looking for an energetic, motivated, principal research scientist to join our founding, multidisciplinary R&D team to lead the discovery of novel biomacromolecular therapeutics to treat human diseases. This peptide chemistry expert will be responsible for the design, synthesis, and analysis of peptide-based bioconjugates and macromolecules. The applicant will report to the CTO and will have close interactions with the executive team and collaborators. This role demands a highly goal-driven approach and the ability to focus on time-sensitive objectives to meet milestones. A demonstrated, deep understanding of peptide synthesis, synthetic chemistry, analytical chemistry, purification techniques, and processing technologies is critical.
- Advance discovery stage research projects through hands-on solid-phase synthesis of peptide bioconjugates and biomacromolecules
- Oversee laboratory equipment (Peptide Synthesizer, LC-MS, preparative HPLC, SEC, etc.)
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with other R&D team members to translate peptide-based biomacromolecular hits into lead compounds
- Maintain accurate laboratory records, draft technical reports, and effectively communicate results to the executive team and external collaborators as required
- Liaise with CROs
- Influence the research pipeline by proposing new peptide research directions aligned with the company’s strategic agenda
- Master’s degree required
- Degree in chemistry or biochemistry preferred
- 6+ years’ relevant industry experience or a Doctoral degree within the preferred disciplines of Organic Chemistry, Chemical Biology, Polymer Chemistry, or related discipline
- Relevant required experience includes:
- Strong synthetic skills including solid-phase peptide synthesis, organic synthesis, biomacromolecule purification and characterization, and biomolecular conjugation.
- Strong experience in design and biochemical characterization of peptides and their bioconjugation chemistries
- Structure-function based drug design knowledge and application for the optimization of peptide drug candidates
- Strong skills in analytical LC-MS, preparative HPLC, and other analytical methods associated with the characterization of peptides, proteins, and biomacromolecular conjugates
- Proven experiences in peptide/protein quantification, formulation, bioanalytical characterization, and stability testing
- Strong interpersonal skills to be effective in an interdisciplinary cross functional discovery team
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S
- Experience with living polymerization methodologies (e.g. ring-opening metathesis polymerization)
- A proven track record of accomplishment (peer-reviewed publications, conference talks, and patents) on polymer-biomolecule conjugates is desirable.
- A strong enthusiasm for innovation and ability to work collaboratively in a dynamic, fast-paced, multidisciplinary environment
- Salary dependent on experience, performance bonus, equity incentive
Grove Biopharma is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations.
CONTACT: Paul Bertin (email@example.com)
posted July 27, 2021