Patent and Invention Policy
Any Invention or Discovery by an Individual who:
- made the Invention or Discovery within the normal field of his or her employment responsibility and activity with the University, or
- makes use of Northwestern University Resources,
is subject to the conditions of the University Patent and Invention Policy. Fulfillment of element
“(1)” of this paragraph is made without regard to location or salary source, and specifically includes Individuals employed at affiliated hospitals and institutions.
Reason for Policy/Purpose
The purpose of this policy is to:
- define what Inventions, Discoveries, and Tangible Research Property (TRP) are subject to this policy;
- define ownership rights to Inventions, Discoveries, and TRP subject to this policy;
- stimulate the timely disclosure of Inventions and Discoveries to the Innovation and New Ventures Office (INVO);
- describe basic principles of the patenting and technology-transfer responsibilities delegated to INVO; and
- describe how proceeds from licensed Inventions, Discoveries, and TRP are distributed.